Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Batgirl

Over the weekend we enjoyed a lovely visit from the Holst-Grubbe family, who owned our house for 22 years. We will blog about that visit soon.

During the visit, George Holst-Grubbe asked a seemingly innocent question:

"So, have you had any bats in the house yet?"

"No," we said, chuckling. Of course we wouldn't have bats in the house. We have an ADT security system, a caretaker and a cleaning person, for goodness sake!

Well.

Today at approximately 11:00am, I decided to bring my laptop out to the porch for a change of scenery from the dining room table, where I've been working a few days this week to avoid the brutal heat wave in Manhattan.

I sat down in my chair with my laptop, power cord, cordless phone, headset, Diet A&W root beer, highlighter pen and a stack of papers. As I plugged in, I noticed something moving in the corner of the porch.

It looked like a frog.

A very dark, creepy, ugly, beady-eyed, evil-looking frog.

I opened the outside porch door and tried to use a chair to nudge the little critter outside. The froglike thing hissed at me and... shot out a wing. A definite, no-doubt-about-it bat wing.

(Cue Batman theme song.)

I immediately closed all the doors, ran inside and put a towel under the porch door to keep the bat from getting inside the house.

Then I took a nap. (Hey, it's really hot and I woke up early this morning.)

After my nap, Evan called and I told him about the bat. While I was telling the story, I looked up and there was the bat himself (or herself, who knows?), climbing up the exposed brick in our dining room.

Country lesson: Towels are not an effective tool to keep bats out of one's house.

With Evan on the phone, I grabbed my laptop and cord and barricaded myself in the mud room.

"Do you have enough water?" Evan asked, in full emergency mode.

I did.

While Evan called Country Caretaker, I then proceeded to do exactly what one should never do in a situation like this: I Googled "bats and rabies."

Here is the first piece of information I found: Rabies can be confirmed only in a laboratory. However, any bat that is active by day (like, say, at 11:00am?), is found in a place where bats are not usually seen (for example, in a room in your home or on the lawn) (or, perhaps, your porch and dining room?), or is unable to fly (and, therefore, is crawling around behind a chair?), is far more likely than others to be rabid. Such bats are often the most easily approached. Therefore, it is best never to handle any bat.

I decided to leave the house and go outside.

About 10 minutes later, Adam from Country Caretaker arrived. I have never been so happy to see that big burgundy truck. Adam heroically went into the house. I heard some commotion and then he came out with the bat caught in his hands between two baseball caps.

You will be pleased to know that he asked if I wanted to take a picture of the bat for our blog.

I said no. Sorry to disappoint our loyal readers, but I just couldn't do it. Instead, I thanked Adam, called Evan to report the good news, went back into the house and poured myself a very large glass of Tocai from Rick's Wine & Spirits.

So, that is the story of Lindsey and the bat.

The End. (I hope.)

Posted by Lindsey



11 comments:

Sarah said...

HIGH-larious!

Although I am very disappointed you didn't take a picture. What kind of blogger are you!?!? ;)

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the country. Did he tell you about the snakes?

Rick

Anonymous said...

:) :) Laughing really loudly!!! You have no worrys. They (the snakes) live on the other side of the road from you, and snakes never cross roads. Next time with a bat. When he lands, or hangs...waste basket over him and hold it with one hand. Then slide a piece of cardboard or thin cookie sheet between the basket lid and the wall or ceiling. He falls in basket. Cardboard covers basket, and you take it outside and remove lid. He'll fly away....(George taught me!!) :) Rick

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you escaped relatively scot-free, which is a good thing. We had a bat in the house a few years back. My Mom was worried she was bitten and went through a rabies vaccine series which was not very fun, or healthy.

Allison H-G said...

Oh, goodness -- can't remember ever having a bat *in* the house when I lived there, but I may have forgotten. I do remember there being one in Rick's house at one point, though.

Lindsey, were you still in Sharon for last night's horrendous storm? I heard it was quite bad -- hope you're doing alright!

Unknown said...

OMG!!!!! I hate bats and completely sympathize with you!!

Anonymous said...

Move back in with us immediately!
Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

No, never had bats in the house while residing there....only outside.
No Rick we did not mention the snakes!

Ai Chan said...

This reminds me of the time my pet parakeet got loose in my room and dad directed me to bring him a bag so he could catch it and I ran up with a school lunch baggie.

Pollaks. Good with the animals.

xx Laura

Ai Chan said...

This reminds me of the time my pet parakeet got loose in my room and dad directed me to bring him a bag so he could catch it and I ran up with a school lunch baggie.

Pollaks. Good with the animals.

xx Laura

Anonymous said...

O.K. I'm the nature reserve guy and I'm gonna stick up for the bats! They're cute, inoffensive and can't help the fact God gave them slightly creepy long fingers with big webby skin between them - at least they can FLY!

All our bats this side of the pond are endangered, so anyone picking one up, pestering or even going near one can be arrested and fined large amounts of money. Don't tell your bats though, they'll all be on the next plane over!

I'll bring my bat detector next time I'm there so you can hear them talk (yep, it actually does that). And we can go out in the woods bat detecting...

... or not, Lindsey?!!