Friday, October 12, 2007

Country Time vs. City Time

Having lived in Manhattan for all of my 32 years, I am used to being able to get what I want FAST. I can pretty much order anything from sushi to an Xbox to duct-tape, and have it within an hour or two. The country is...different. Things just take time. The line at the grocery store moves slower, people don't drive very fast, clerks move at a slow (but determined) pace. It's like everyone got together and agreed to function at 60% capacity 24/7.

It's not a bad thing per se, but it takes some getting used to. We've been having some work done on the house and what I thought would take a week has taken seven. It's been a good lesson in patience for me. Perhaps now I will be kinder to the tourists in NYC who wander around aimlessly staring up at the tall buildings (are there no tall buildings in other countries???) and walking four across on the sidewalk, making it virtually impossible for me to get where I'm going (kinda like cattle in Sharon).

Maybe I'll bring Sharon's lack of urgency to my life here in the city. Although next time it takes the sushi guy more than 30 minutes, I'm sure I'll be on the phone demanding to know where my sashimi deluxe is, and how much longer will I have to wait.

Posted by Evan

No comments: